The Presidency on today Monday reacted to claims made by the BringBackOurGirls BBOG group, saying President Muhammadu Buhari will never make bogus claims or play to the gallery over the fate of the over 200 girls kidnapped in their school in Chibok, Borno State, in April 2014.
The BBOG recently alleged that President Buhari had broken all promises made to the group about rescuing the missing Chibok girls. But the Senior Special Assistant to the President on Media and Publicity, Garba Shehu, in a statement made available to journalists said although it had honourable intentions, the BBOG leadership did not consider the collateral damage which must inevitably follow what he called its “riveting and dispiriting claim” that the President has broken all promises allegedly made to the group on the issue.
Garba Shehu said regardless of the allegation of being “lackadaisical” in rescuing the Chibok girls leveled against the Presiden t , the Federal Government’s focus has always been to free the Chibok girls alive and unharmed.
He said, “The President is conscious always about the fact that terrorism in Nigeria is part of a global phenomenon. Since coming to office, his response to it has been firm and well considered.
“President Buhari will never make bogus promises or play to the gallery. It is misleading of anyone to preach that the Chibok girls are within an easy grasp.
“If the military under the President knew where they are held, they will bring the Chibok girls home today.
“The Presidency is open to renewed cooperation with the BBOG group, international bodies, religious groups, social workers, and all others who are assisting in the field to ensure that those who have so far been rescued from Boko Haram captivity are given the support they need to make a full recovery and be reintegrated fully into the society.
“Groups such as the BBOG can also lend a helping hand to families whose losses need to be appreciated and focused upon.
“The life of every single Nigerian matters to this government and the security agencies, under the command of President Buhari, will continue to exert all its powers to ensure that every Nigerian is safe from the brutality of terrorists and terrorism.”